One of the three top-tier horses, along with the Hungarian Half-bred and the Kentucky Saddler. The American Standardbred is the fastest horse in the game. Its health and stamina are weaker by comparison, however. They are dark brown (almost solid black) with a full black mane and tail.
They are most often found in
- West Elizabeth
- in the areas east of Manzanita Post
- and south of Beecher's Hope,
- as well as in the western portion of Tall Trees.
- They have also been found in other places such as the Great Plains around the area where the Buffalo are found
- north of Thieves' Landing.
Rare occurrences have taken place where the American Standardbred has also been found around Marston's farm in Beecher's Hope and north of Wreck of the Serendipity. Groups of two American Standardbreds can also be found near Aurora Basin, though it is rare.
A deed for this horse can be purchased at any general store for $1500 but mostly for 750 with high enough honor (or low enough honor at Thieves' Landing), but only after the player has successfully broken the horse at least once.
- When galloping, the player should tap A/X at a delayed rhythm - about once every second (or three strides). Doing this allows the horse to regain stamina before it is spurred again, while still retaining its top speed.
- The in-game breed is based on the real world Standardbred. See the linked article for information about the real world equivalent.
- When looking for the Standardbred, it is often easy to confuse this breed with the Dutch Warmblood, which in reality is dark brown and black. The Standardbred is completely black in any lighting, and does not have any shade of brown.
- A possible rare glitch spawns a herd of 4-5 Standardbreds near the river north of Beecher's Hope, close to the Great Plains/Tall Trees border. There is also a spawn point just south of Bearclaw Camp, near the river.
- Oddly, there is a slightly increased chance to find it at night.
- This is the third fastest way of obtainable transportation (other than Fast Travel) in the base game, being slightly slower than the NPC driven one-horse carts and Walton Lowe's unique Cleveland Bay mount, which possesses a remarkable top speed.
- Despite only spawning in West Elizabeth on normal occasions, the American Standardbred can be seen in two cutscenes while in New Austin, one in A Tempest Looms, and again in Spare the Rod, Spoil the Bandit.