The Armadillo is a species of animal found in Red Dead Redemption.
Armadillos are a small mammal covered by a hard shell. If shot with a large caliber weapon (some rifles, or shotguns) the armadillo may explode. This will render it unable to be skinned, so the player must use caution. Shotguns, however, can be used at a farther range to prevent this.
Armadillos are passive animals that will run away when Marston approaches them. They will never fight back with their claws or teeth, even if provoked. This was meant to be a feature, but it was scrapped before the game was released.
- New Austin
- Hanging Rock
- Odd Fellow's Rest, on the road adjacent to the cemetery where the Stranger side-mission "Let No Man Put Asunder" concludes.
- West of Armadillo, just east of Pleasance House in the hills of the area. Seem to be in abundance around 6 PM. Many can also be found around 8 AM.
- South of Twin Rocks.
- On the cliff above Riley's Charge.
- Nuevo Paraíso
- Note that armadillos killed before needing them for the Master Hunter Rank 4 challenge do not count toward that challenge.
- If hunted in areas with bushes or many rocks, they are quite good at blending in with their surroundings. To counter this, listen carefully. Whenever you approach an Armadillo, it will make a pig-like sound.
- If you use large caliber weapons, such as shotgun and high-powered rifles on armadillos, they will destroy the animal and the player will be unable to skin the armadillo.
- "Armadillo" is Spanish for "little armored one".
The player must kill an armadillo to contribute to the successful completion of the following trophy/achievement:
Kill every animal species in the game in any game mode.