3D model of an Armadillo
|Scientific Name||Dasypus novemcinctus|
|Loot|| Armadillo Carapace |
|Location|| Gaptooth Ridge |
Various locations in Nuevo Paraiso and New Austin
The Armadillo is a species of animal found in Red Dead Redemption.
Armadillos are a small mammal covered by a hard shell. If shot with a large caliber weapon (some rifles, or shotguns) the armadillo may explode. This will render it unable to be skinned, so the player must use caution. Shotguns, however, can be used at a farther range to prevent this.
- New Austin
- Hanging Rock
- Odd Fellow's Rest, on the road adjacent to the cemetery where the Stranger side-mission "Let No Man Put Asunder" concludes.
- West of Armadillo, just east of Pleasance House in the hills of the area. Seem to be in abundance around 6 PM. Many can also be find around 8 AM.
- South of Twin Rocks.
- On the cliff above Riley's Charge.
- Nuevo Paraíso
- Note that armadillos killed before needing them for the Master Hunter Rank 4 challenge do not count toward that challenge.
- If hunted in areas with bushes or many rocks they are quite good at blending in with their surroundings. To counter this use your hearing. Whenever you approach an Armadillo it will make a pig-like sound.
- Do not use large caliber weapons such as shotgun and high-powered rifles. They will destroy the animal and leave said animal unskinable.
- "Armadillo" is Spanish for "little armored one".
A glitch was encountered when an armadillo walked off a hill and floated around in a ragdoll position before moving back to the hill encountered. Found north of The Hanging Rock, at night. Another glitch is near the Gang Hideout, Nosalida, several, maybe even 14 armadilloes will run off toward the water, and if followed will walk through the rocks. They can be killed, but not skinned.
The player must kill an armadillo to contribute to the successful completion of the following trophy/achievement:
Kill every animal species in the game in any game mode.