- “Disguise yourself as a Bandito and outlaws will welcome you in Mexico.”
- — In-game description
Wearing the Bandito Outfit allows the player to be disguised as a Bandito and thus be treated like one of their gang whenever they're encountered, particularly in Fort Mercer. The outfit consists of John Marston's Cowboy Outfit, with two bandoliers, and his typical flat top, medium-sized brim black hat, replaced by a wide brimmed white hat, along with bigger Mexican boots.
To unlock the Bandito Outfit, the player has to complete the following challenges:
Scrap 1: Search Sidewinder Gulch. Looking at the map, you need to head to the open-ish area with three black squares on the East end of Sidewinder Gulch. Inside this area is a camp, in which the tent on the far east side contains the scrap in a chest.
Scrap 5: Defend Mexican residents from Bandito attacks (If you only have scrap 5 left, then you can simply track its location to show you where Banditos are attacking. It can also be done in the southern part of New Austin.)
Scrap 6: Purchase at the general store in Chuparosa.
- The sombrero that this outfit features appears to be the same sombrero that Javier Escuella wears.
- "Criminal" bounties in Mexico do not count toward Scrap 4. The poster must specifically say "Bandito".
- There are only three additional clothes on the outfit. the sombrero, the boots, and the two Bandoliers if it isn't bugged.
- Marston's red neck bandana is partially unrolled while wearing this outfit.
- WARNING SPOILER ALERT! This is one of the outfits Jack can where John's normal Cowboy Outfit under.
- A glitch can occur when purchasing at the store it doesn't register that you did, meaning that you can NEVER obtain this outfit.
- In addition, the bounty for a Bandito at Chuparosa may never appear, therefore never giving you the opportunity to obtain the outfit.
- A glitch where after you capture the Bandito bounty, the game doesn't register the occurrence. Try dismounting your horse well back from the turn-in marker and carry the bandito on foot to the yellow cross.
- Even when you have this outfit on, and you go to Fort Mercer the Banditos will still attack Marston, because the only way to get in the fort is to walk towards Leon Galindo who will give you a "push" up the crates.
- The second bandolier only occasionally appears when the outfit is equipped, despite the image shown while changing outfits shows two bandoliers . (Xbox 360 - needs confirmation)
- This outfit does not work in Tesoro Azul. This is because it is controlled by Unaffiliated Criminals, not Banditos
Obtaining the Bandito Outfit will contribute toward acquisition of the following Achievement/Trophy:
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.