|Rate of Fire||High|
In Red Dead Redemption, the Browning gun appears as a mounted weapon on an early-model armored truck in the mission "And You Will Know The Truth". Such a vehicle had only just been produced and used as recently as 1902, and was yet untested in military engagements. It has unlimited ammunition, and is featured in the final mission against Dutch. A Browning is usable from the roof of the player's safehouse in El Matadero and Cochinay in the Single Player campaign.
In Undead Nightmare, the Browning can be found in the same locations as in the singleplayer campaign and it still comes with unlimited ammunition. John Marston can apply Phosphorus Coating to the gun's ammo supply to make it extremely effective at killing the undead.
- The Browning Gun is based on the real world Browning Model 1917 Machine Gun.
- While John M. Browning patented the design in 1900 and developed a prototype in 1910, the gun used in the game (M1917) is an anachronism since Browning did not produce that variant for the U.S. Army until 1917. The weapon is likely meant to be a stand-in for the period appropriate Maxim gun.
- Archer Fordham's prediction was correct. The Browning Gun was by the U.S. military during both World War I & II, wars they did not lose. It was followed by the M1919, which in turn gave birth to the famous Browning M2 .50 cal, the "Ma Deuce".
- After the events of "And The Truth Will Set You Free", Dutch van der Linde's Browning Gun in Cochinay will no longer have armor plating surrounding it, and it will just look and act like a regular Browning Gun.
- After long sustained fire, the Browning Gun in El Matadero will 'overheat' permanently and only be able to fire in bursts.
- Although they're practically equal in power, the Browning Gun is a bit more accurate than the Gatling Gun, and can shoot almost twice as fast.
- Using Pig Josh in Multiplayer sometimes causes the character to glitch while using this gun.
The Browning Gun can be used to unlock the following Trophies/Achievements:
Kill 500 enemies with a mounted weapon in any game mode
Get 250 headshots in any game mode.
Get a headshot while in Expert Mode in Singleplayer.