Bucks can be found alongside deer, which can be found in almost every area of the map. They are one of the most abundant animals found in Red Dead Redemption. Bucks are most commonly found in the Tall Trees area in West Elizabeth; in the plains east of MacFarlane's Ranch; and south of Cholla Springs in an area running from Riley's Charge to Rio del Lobo.
- In real life, the in-game buck is a white tail deer.
- Shooting a buck in the antlers will kill it instantly.
- Bucks can be hunted in both Multiplayer and Single player.
- Bucks will not attack the player, but are very fast and can be hard to hit, so using Dead-Eye is often useful.
- In a large herd, one may encounter 1 or 2 bucks in a herd numbering around 5-7.
- Rifles are recommended for taking deer.
- Strangely , all buck antlers have 8 points.
- Despite it being a type of deer, it is not counted towards the Master Hunter Challenge Rank 2.
The player must kill a Buck to successfully complete the following achievement:
Kill every animal species in the game in any game mode.