|Hold it right there, outlaw!|
This article is littered with spoilers, so I reckon
you might ought'a mosey on down the road
if you don't want to read any plot details.
| Red Dead Redemption mission|
Can a Swindler Change His Spots?
|Given by||Nigel West Dickens|
|Rewards||$25 and 75 Fame|
| Nigel West Dickens|
"Liars, Cheats and
Other Proud Americans"
| Nigel West Dickens|
"The Sport of Kings,
To view the mission tree, see:
- Main article: Missions in Redemption/Tree
John approaches Mr. West Dickens who requests John's aid in selling more elixir. This time, half-way into the performance, two riders appear and denounce Dickens as a fraud. The crowd grows hostile and a chase ensues, in which John must protect Dickens at all costs.
Before this mission becomes available, the player must complete:
To complete this mission, the player must:
- Join the spectators for Nigel's show in Plainview.
- Ride shotgun for Nigel and fight off any attackers.
In this mission, the player will accompany Nigel riding shotgun on his wagon as he retreats from an angry crowd.
The player must help Nigel escape to Cueva Seca after the crowd turns hostile halfway through his speech. While Nigel is driving, the player will have to defend the wagon from the enemies. Most will be on horseback, but halfway through the escape there are about three or four wagons that the player must fend off (some may have TNT in the back). Then the player will encounter a road block consisting of two wagons blocking the path. A barrel of TNT is conveniently placed on the bed of one of the wagons for the player to shoot.
- Main article: Can a Swindler Change His Spots?/dialogues
The mission will fail if the player:
- Shoots the bottles of West Dickens' elixir on display.
- Steals the wagon.
- Lets Nigel die.
- Kills or abandons Nigel West Dickens.
- Kills the horses pulling Nigel's wagon.
- Breaks the law.
- Kills a dog.
- Commits vandalism.
- Assaults or kills townsfolk.
New Game Elements IntroducedEdit
- Riding shotgun
Mission Complete UnlockablesEdit
- The title of this mission is a reference to the saying "Can a leopard change his spots", which means that it is hard for someone to break a habit.
- This is one of very few times we see John Marston smoke.
- At the end of the mission, if the player waits for a while before leaving, Mr. West Dickens begins to urinate on the ground. Even if knocked over he continues to urinate.
- A majority of the scammed townsfolk are members of the Williamson Gang, including people such as Kent Gallaway and Melvin Spinney.
Tips & TricksEdit
- 100% accuracy is possible on this mission. When you come to the road block with the wagons of TNT, wait until your driver stops, equip a shotgun (any will do) and aim at the head of the enemy standing in front of the left road block wagon. 9 times out of 10 you'll pepper him and blow the TNT.
Completing this mission contributes toward the following Trophy/Achievement:
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.