The Carcano Rifle is one of the rare weapons available in Red Dead Redemption. It was the service rifle of the Italian Army, a weapon that would have been quite rare in the American West and is a symbol of changing times, morals and ideals.
It performs in a similar manner to the Rolling Block Rifle, however, it holds five rounds in a magazine and so has a far faster rate of fire and reload time. The Carcano Rifle's bullets travel at a faster velocity than the Rolling Block, meaning that the shots won't need to be anticipated as much, resulting in the bullet hitting the moving target more effectively. It is quite useful for hunting Deer, Elk and Grizzly Bears.
Single Player Edit
- The Carcano Rifle can be purchased at the Gunsmith in Blackwater for $1100, or $550 if you have high Honor and Fame or only $225 if you are wearing the Savvy Merchant Outfit. If you have low honor its for $1600.
- As a second option, the player can also "cheat" for this weapon if they want (See Cheats in Redemption page).
- The Carcano Rifle is unlocked into the player's regular inventory upon reaching rank 28.
- In Free Roam Multiplayer mode, it can be found in a chest in the Nosalida gang hideout.
- It can also be obtained by killing another player who has the weapon equipped.
- Americus Roe will spawn with one during the Mansion sequence of the Tumbleweed gang hideout
- In the Undead Nightmare, both the Carcano Rifle and the Mauser Pistol, can be obtained by completing the Rank 5 Undead Sharpshooter Challenge.
Tips and TricksEdit
- When engaging multiple enemies at medium range, it can be helpful to switch between the Carcano Rifle and a weapon with auto-aim to quickly acquire targets.
- While aiming in the direction of enemies, a white ray appears around the scope to indicate where the enemy is.
- You can fire all five rounds of the Carcano Rifle before having to exit Dead Eye. This is useful in Bounty Hunter missions when you want to capture the outlaw alive; simply get into a good sniper position and kill the horses.
- Sometimes when buying the Carcano rifle from the Gunsmith in Blackwater, it will disappear from the inventory; the only way to get it back is to reload the game and try buying it again.
- Since going into Dead-Eye makes the player invincible, and shooting all shots with a scoped rifle in Dead-Eye doesn't exit it, the player can mount a horse, go into Dead-Eye, and shoot the horse in the head as many time as you like and it will still be alive.(Only works with sniper rifles)
- The Carcano Rifle is based on the real world Carcano Model 91/38 Short Rifle.
- The Carcano Rifle is nearly identical to the rifle used by Lee Harvey Oswald to assassinate U.S. President John F. Kennedy, which may explain its inclusion in the game despite being an anachronistic model.
- The rifle is depicted of having a straight bolt handle and being reloaded with en-bloc clips. However, the placement of the scope directly on top of the receiver would mean the straight bolt handle will hit the scope unlike a bent bolt handle. In addition, the scope will leave no room for the usage of clips which is why most sniper rifles must be loaded with individual rounds.
The Carcano Rifle can be used to unlock the following achievements.
Get 250 headshots in any game mode.
Get a headshot while in Expert Mode in Singleplayer.
Kill 500 enemies with any rifle, repeater, or shotgun
Purchase a rare weapon from a gunsmith.
Attain 100% in the Single Player Game Completion stat.