–Clay Pettiford to John Marston
Clay partners with Floyd Brogles to journey to Gaptooth Breach in search of treasure in the mine. While using the miners' railway house, they are attacked and Floyd is captured and hogtied. Clay manages to escape, but is injured in the process and ultimately does not make it too far from the mine entrance and during the battle he is killed. He wears a straw boater hat and nice clothes, suggesting that he is fairly well-to-do.
When Marston first enters the Gaptooth Breach gang hideout, he encounters an injured Pettiford, hiding behind two crates on the outskirts of the miner's camp. Clay explains the situation to John, and where they are holding his partner, Floyd.
Despite the fact that he appears to perish in Gaptooth Breach, Clay can still be found in Blackwater, wandering through the town. He has been known to frequent Armadillo, as well as other locations in West Elizabeth.
- He can be found dead after Gaptooth Breach is completed.
- He will also slump into a death pose if the players stays in exactly the same spot for two seconds after the cutscene at Gaptooth Breach.
- If the player kills Clay at Gaptooth Breach, he will not be able to finish the hideout.
- He wears exactly the same outfit as Titus Sinclair, with the exception that Sinclair sports a bow tie.
- He is the the race announcer during the mission "The Sport of Kings, and Liars".