Red Dead Redemption
Seth Briars is found here robbing graves during the mission "Exhuming and Other Fine Hobbies" and Seth Briars mission "A Gentle Drive with Friends" begins here. The player can find Alma Horlick in this location to begin the Stranger side-mission "Let No Man Put Asunder".
The place is also inhabited by a few other unusual people that seem to take residence outside the dilapidated chapel, a few of them being Coke Buckley and Morris Snead: they can be seen digging up graves, sitting by campfires or mourning by a grave. It is possible for the people to live in the chapel, because they can be seen sleeping in the back room.
The area surrounding the chapel is sparse and empty with a few demolished homes dotting the landscape.
Coot's Chapel is a small, isolated place of Christian worship. The chapel is run down, the windows old and cracked, the walls eroded, the seats worn out.
The chapel also maintains a graveyard. Among the graves with legible inscriptions lie most of the MacFarlane Brothers, Priscilla Johnson (Marshal Leigh Johnson's Wife) and many other people. The graveyard is quiet and the surrounding stone walls are corroded. The iron fencing is rusted. A lifeless tree sits in the center of the yard with scattered debris found lying around.
The area surrounding the chapel has many demolished houses where all but the brick foundations have been destroyed.
A scrap of the Deadly Assassin Outfit can be found inside a chest in the chapel for those who purchased the Special Edition version of the game or downloaded the Deadly Assassin Outfit DLC. However, opening this chest can count as a theft and witnesses may run off to tell the authorities, though Coot's Chapel is somewhat distant from the nearest sheriff.
Coot's Chapel is the site of the Undead Overrun level titled "High Brains Drifter." No other multiplayer game modes take place here.
- One gravestone in the chapel cemetery is dedicated to a cowboy with no name who died towards the end of the nineteenth century. This could be a tribute to the character played by Clint Eastwood in the 'spaghetti westerns', however the Man With No Name is seen in A Few Dollars More is called Manco which is the only reference we see which is his name. The grave is located just behind the one that Seth is digging up when Marston first meets him.
- The grave of Josephine Byrd can be opened with a fire bottle. This is the same grave that is excavated by Seth during the mission "Exhuming and Other Fine Hobbies". This is a 'Easter Egg' or just a glitch.
- "Coot's Chapel" is possibly a nickname given to the area after it had been abandoned. It may be a reference to the crazy and undesirable people who hang around the area. As the word Coot means 'old' in the western civilization.
- If the player opens the chest inside the church, the residents will go and alert the sheriff.
- An NPC can sometimes be seen angrily pointing and shouting at the large cross above the altar and later sitting on a pew, crying.
- NPCs occasionally can sometimes be seen crying at graves at the chapel.
- A NPC can also be seen digging graves and sometimes crying by it.
- The graves of all five of Bonnie's deceased brothers can be found here.
Here lies Josephine Byrd
Died April 1st, 1878
"Gone but not forgotten."
Jackson Greenwood of Armadillo
June 23rd 1891
Here lies Ethan MacFarlane
"Never try to milk a bull."
Cowboy of no name
Died on September 16th 1897
Died of a gunshot to the head
July 26th 1899
In memory of Priscilla Johnson, wife of Marshall Leigh Johnson
Who died on April 23rd, 1903
"Forever smiling in our hearts."
Hamilton Murphy of Armadillo
Loving brother of Jeb Murphy
Died January 8, 1876
"Six wives proved one too many."
Here lies Lydia Grubb
Dearly loved wife of Eldin Grubb
"Buy this tombstone at Grubb' Undertaker. Armadillo."
November 2nd, 1886
but not forgotten."
In loving memory of Hank MacFarlane
Died of Tuberculosis on
December 8th, 1893.
Age 12 years.
Died in a bar fight
on August 4th, 1905
Rest in Peace
In memory of Francis Moon
Brother of Herbert Moon
Died May 23, 1897
"Always took a joke too far."
Nelly Dillard of Armadillo
Wife of Warren Dillard
"Born an angel, died a witch."
Died June 23, 1896 of Chronic Diarrhea
Aged 14 yrs 3 months and 6 days
"Always in our thoughts".
Theodore Kilbane of St Louis
July 12, 1891
"He came in search of fortune.
And is still looking."
Here lies buried Judith Johnston
Who died on February 2nd, 1857
Aged 23 years.
Brother of Lewis Pickering
"Came looking for gold
but found lead."
Red Dead Redemption
Uncover every location on the map in Single Player.
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.
Cleansing the cemetery at this location contributes toward the following Achievements/Trophies:
Attain 100% Game Completion statistic in Undead Nightmare.