|Hold it right there, outlaw!|
This article is littered with spoilers, so I reckon you might ought'a mosey on down the road if you don't want to read any plot details.
To view the mission tree, see:
- Main article: Missions in Redemption/Tree
John Marston meets Seth Briars in the cemetery of Coot's Chapel exhuming bodies, particularly the one of Josephine Byrd, looking for valuables. Seth reveals that his partner has the other half of his treasure map. They travel to Benedict Point and Seth needs John to lure two deputies away from the jail, so Seth can break in and get to his old friend, Moses Forth.
Before this mission becomes available, the player must complete:
- Bonnie MacFarlane mission: "Wild Horses, Tamed Passions"; and
- Nigel West Dickens mission: "You Shall Not Give False Testimony, Except for Profit"
To complete this mission, the player must:
- Ride with Seth to Benedict Point.
- Steal a lawman's horse.
- Lose his wanted level.
- Catch, lasso and hogtie Moses Forth.
- Use a Pardon Letter or cash to eliminate the bounty on your head.
When this mission starts, all the player needs to do is to ride to Benedict Point with Seth where he will instruct the player to steal one of the lawman's horses (you could also just walk up to the lawmen and the game will consider it trespassing). Simply do so and evade the pursuing lawmen. This is best done by using the roads to gain speed and then lose them in the wilderness.
After completion of the mission, Seth will award you with a pardon letter to use to clear your bounty. (Tip: Pay cash and keep the pardon letter to get a free pardon letter.)
- Main article: Exhuming and Other Fine Hobbies/dialogues
The mission will fail if the player:
- Assaults, kills or abandons Seth.
- Kills his own or Seth's horse.
- Kills the deputies or their horses.
- Gets caught by the deputies.
- Kills Moses.
- Allows Moses to escape.
- Breaks the law.
- Kills a dog.
- Commits vandalism.
- Assaults or kills townsfolk.
New Game Elements IntroducedEdit
- Wanted levels and bounties
- Hogtying a captive
Mission Complete UnlockablesEdit
- Sometimes, after stealing the lawman's horse, the player will not receive a bounty. Even after committing multiple crimes in the vicinity of the lawmen, they pay no attention. This can be fixed by restarting the mission.
- Sometimes during the cutscene, when it zooms in on the shack, Moses can be seen standing in the doorway and the lawmen are gone. Skipping the cutscene will correct this glitch.
- At the point in the mission where stealing the deputy's horse is required, the player can walk to the back of the shack where Moses is and kill him. This will not register as killing him, but will put a bounty on the players head as if the horse had been taken. The mission will continue as normal.
- When Seth gives the player the pardon letter and walks inside the telegraph office, the player can either kill or untie Moses. Sometimes when shooting Moses in the head, he will stop squirming for a moment, and then resume as though nothing had happened. It takes a second or third shot to finish him off.
- Oddly, Seth will not die if the player shoots him at the start of the mission, he will just stand up and run away, no matter how many shots he takes he will not die.
- The bounty the player will get from stealing the horse will be small, so you can decide to pay off the bounty and save the Pardon letter for when you need it more, like the 'Friends in High Places' trophy/achievement.
- The player may find it easier to simply ride up to the police and shoot in the air, as it allows for a quicker getaway and a cheaper bounty.
- It is possible for the player to have the fame level Gunslinger by this point in the game, meaning the player shouldn't get a bounty for stealing a horse. Needless to say, the player will receive one anyway.
Completing this mission contributes toward the following Trophy/Achievement:
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.