To view the mission tree, see:
- Main article: Missions in Redemption/Tree
Landon tells John that Emilio Fortuna knows of an Escuella, but is not sure if it is Javier Escuella. After a brief conversation, they find that Emilio's sister, Luisa Fortuna, is being sought by Colonel Agustin Allende, during which Landon and John get into a heated argument about the paths each other have taken. John either rides with Landon in the train, or rides his own horse to Casa Madrugada, then on to El Matadero to find a butcher named Carlos who can help them. After meeting with Carlos, he leads them to the caves where Luisa is being held. After killing some two dozen men, John and Landon use dynamite to blow the door to Luisa's cell. The pair then has to escort Luisa to Diez Coronas so that Carlos can take her for medical treatment, but not before the duo takes out more members of the Mexican army.
To complete this mission, the player must:
- Travel to El Matadero to meet Carlos.
- Follow Carlos and enter the caves after Carlos distracts the guards.
- Fight his way to Luisa Fortuna's cell.
- Help Ricketts get Luisa to safety.
After Carlos leads the two guards away, enter the cave and kill everyone you see, making your way back to Luisa's cell. Once there, you will have to defend Ricketts while he sets a dynamite charge on the door. There will be two pairs of guards before the cutscene showing Ricketts laying the dynamite.
You must then defend Ricketts as he carries Luisa's unconscious body out of the cave. There are some half-dozen guards you'll have to wade through. When you reach the cave entrance, Carlos has left you some horses and you and Ricketts will ride out of the canyon. Along the path more Mexicans will appear that you'll have to deal with. At the end of the short trail, you will be met by Carlos on horseback and a cutscene will play, ending the mission.
- Main article: Landon Ricketts Rides Again/dialogues
The mission will fail if the player:
- Assaults, kills or abandons Landon Ricketts.
- Kills Landon's horse.
- Assaults or kills Carlos.
- Kills Luisa.
- Kills the horses Carlos left outside the cave.
- Strays too far from the mission location.
- Breaks the law.
- Kills a dog.
- Commits vandalism.
- Assaults or kills townsfolk.
Mission Complete UnlockablesEdit
- At the beginning of the mission, you are given a choice between taking the train or riding to the location. If you start on your mount and jump on the train part way through Ricketts will make a comment like: "Damn, when you change your mind, you really change your mind", or "So much for my relaxing train ride. Did you really miss me that much?"
- It is best to do this mission quickly, as Ricketts will display bugged behavior in the cave. Attempting to disarm or hogtie enemies will exacerbate the problem. If Ricketts freezes, your only option will be to restart the mission (either by reloading or suicide).
- If there are too many bodies in the area where Ricketts puts the explosive near the door in the back portion of the cave, Ricketts may cause the bodies to flail about wildly which, in turn, says you assaulted him, thus making you fail.
- You can get away with killing the soldiers before Carlos distracts them, but they will turn hostile.
- If you ride the train to the location and call your horse on arrival by using the deed and whistling, you will fail the mission a short distance away from the train station for "killing your horse".
- Ricketts is nearly invincible during this level.
- Occasionally in the cutscene where he detonates the dynamite, Rickett's standard Cattleman Revolver is replaced by another gun, in one instance a high power pistol, it is unknown currently if the glitch randomly generates the other pistols or revolvers.
- During the cutscene of getting on the train in Chuparosa is the only time John takes his gun off his back and sets it beside him when he sits on a train.
- On PS3,Luisa may bug and disappear when Landon Rickets puts her on his horse,she will not appear for the rest of the mission.
Completing this mission contributes toward the following Trophy/Achievement:
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.