Outside Coot's Chapel, Marston meets an old woman named Alma Horlick whose soon-to-be husband, Peter, has disappeared on her wedding day, which apparently seems to be the same day John is talking to Ms. Horlick, according to her. She asks Marston if he could go and retrieve Peter from the Armadillo Saloon, where he works as a musician. John eventually relents and reluctantly decides to go find him.
Before this Stranger will appear on the world map, the player must complete:
After speaking with Alma Horlick, the player must:
- Ride to Armadillo Saloon and speak to Nathan Harling about Peter Turner.
- Decide whether to give him money or help him with his wife, Rose.
- Intimidate Rose into returning to her husband, or hogtie and return her physically.↑
- Use Harling's information to finally locate Peter Turner.
- ↑ = Only applies if player decides to help Harling.
The player's first step is to search for Peter at the saloon in Armadillo. When the player gets there, they will meet one of the piano players, named Nathan Harling, who says he hasn't seen Peter in quite a while but is willing to tell Marston where you might find him (for a price). The player can either pay him $5 or help him by convincing his wife, Rose Harling to take him back who left him earlier that morning.
Rose can be found at the Armadillo freight station waiting for a stagecoach. When you approach her, it becomes clear that the angry wife will not return to Nathan without some further "persuasion". You can either threaten her or hogtie her and return her to Alan. Doing any of these options will result in a -100 score in Honor.
Once you have either paid Nathan or convinced Rose, he will tell you that he believes that Peter can be found out in the desert at Odd Fellow's Rest.
Proceed to Odd Fellow's Rest, where the player will find a tombstone with Peter's name on it. If you're having trouble finding it, just look at the mini-map where it will be marked with a "?", like all Stranger side-missions.
In conclusion, Peter has been dead for 17 years (20 if playing the mission as Jack in 1914) since his death on January 15th, 1894 from a blow to the head, showing that Alma Horlick was going crazy and was delusional. If the player returns to Coot's Chapel right after finding Peter's grave and completing the mission, Ms. Horlick will be gone.
- The player can convince Rose to return to Alan without losing any honor. By running her over with a horse, you can fail the mission and forcibly move Rose without any honor penalty. Roughly seven in-game days later the mission can be redone and Rose will be in the same place she was left. This forces the mission to accept that Rose has been returned to Alan and allow you to continue without any honor penalty. This glitch does not work 100% of the time.
- The title, "Let No Man Put Asunder", is a paraphrased quotation from the Book of John in the Bible.
- Interestingly, during Undead Nightmare, both Alma Horlick and Peter Turner appear as the "Boss" undead (in the Coot's Chapel and Odd Fellow's Rest cemeteries respectively) while the player is completing the mission "Get Back in That Hole, Partner".
- After the player has brought back Nathan's wife, she will sit down in the saloon and start crying.
Complete a task for a Stranger.
Complete 15 tasks for Strangers.
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.