|Hold it right there, outlaw!|
This article is littered with spoilers, so I reckon
you might ought'a mosey on down the road
if you don't want to read any plot details.
| Red Dead Redemption mission|
Liars, Cheats and Other Proud Americans
|Given by||Nigel West Dickens|
| Seth Briars|
and Other Fine Hobbies
| Nigel West Dickens|
"Can a Swindler
Change His Spots?"
"A Frenchman, a Welshman
and an Irishman"
"Who Are You to Judge?"
–Clay Pettiford, race announcer
To view the mission tree, see:
- Main article: Missions in Redemption/Tree
Before this mission becomes available, the player must complete:
- Nigel West Dickens mission: "You Shall Not Give False Testimony, Except for Profit"
- Seth Briars mission: "Exhuming and Other Fine Hobbies"
To complete this mission, the player must:
- Ride with Nigel to the race.
- Get in the horse cart.
- Follow the course marked by the smoke plumes.
- Win the race.
Ride with Nigel West Dickens to Gaptooth Breach for a horse and cart race. Once the race begins, the best strategy is to stay on the path at all times as this gives Marston's horse the ability to travel as fast as it can. Keep a close eye on the blue endurance meter to the left of the radar to make sure John's Horse is riding as fast as it can without being over exerted. A good rule of thumb would be to keep pressing X (PS3) or A (Xbox360) every couple of gallops after initially gaining full speed to keep the horse running as fast as it can without overusing the endurance meter. Follow the smoke trackers and finish in first place. Look at your mini map in the bottom left corner at the yellow circles to see where your next destination is. You get $3 and 200 fame for winning.
- Main article: Liars, Cheats and Other Proud Americans/dialogues
The mission will fail if the player:
- Assaults or kills Nigel West Dickens.
- Assaults the horses pulling Nigel's wagon.
- Assaults or kills any racing opponent.
- Kills any of the race horses (including your own).
- Assaults or kills any spectators.
- Does not win the race.
- Abandons the cart.
- Kills an animal.
- Commits vandalism.
- Assaults or kills townsfolk.
Mission Complete UnlockablesEdit
- Interestingly, apart from the three racing missions given to you during the story ("Obstacles in Our Path"; "Liars, Cheats and Other Proud Americans"; "The Sport of Kings, and Liars"), the opportunity to race never presents itself again in single player. However, racing is available in the Grand Prix multiplayer game mode as part of the Liars and Cheats DLC.
- Sometimes, there is a wagon with no one driving it. It will still race and count for one of the racers, there just won't be a driver.
- The piece of dialogue before the race in which the rules are explained can be interpreted as an ironic comment on laissez-faire capitalism.
Completing this mission contributes toward the following Trophy/Achievement:
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.