|Hold it right there, outlaw!|
This article is littered with spoilers, so I reckon you might ought'a mosey on down the road if you don't want to read any plot details.
| Red Dead Redemption mission|
Lucky in Love
|Given by||Landon Ricketts|
|Rewards||$50, 100 Fame|
| Landon Ricketts|
| Landon Ricketts|
"The Mexican Wagon Train"
"Eva in Peril"
To view the mission tree, see:
- Main article: Missions in Redemption/Tree
Before this mission becomes available, the player must complete:
To complete this mission, the player must:
- Play two rounds of Texas Hold 'Em.
- Defeat Müller in a duel.
- Defeat The Stranger in a duel.
- Kill Müller's remaining men.
The player sits down and plays poker with Ricketts and his friends. After two hands, Müller will accuse Marston of cheating, and after a stand-off over the table, Ricketts convinces Müller to accept a duel. After winning the duel, Marston and Ricketts have a drink. As they do so, The Stranger, a friend of Müller and a participant in the poker game, will approach, holding a knife to a girl's throat, threatening that he'll kill her. Marston is forced to kill the man, in order to save the girl's life.
After killing The Stranger, four accomplices appear, which Marston and Ricketts will have to kill. After the shootout, Marston and Ricketts will part ways.
- Main article: Lucky in Love/dialogues
The mission will fail if the player:
- Cheats at poker or quits the game.
- Assaults or kills Landon Ricketts.
- Abandons the area.
- Assaults or kills Müller before the duel.
- Assaults or kills any of Müller's men before the duel.
- Assaults or kills livestock.
- Strays too far from the mission location.
- Breaks the law.
- Kills a dog.
- Commits vandalism.
- Assaults or kills townsfolk.
New Game Elements IntroducedEdit
Mission Complete UnlockablesEdit
Tips & TricksEdit
This level is an extremely good way to earn a Gold Medal, and the corresponding achievement:
- 1. Go all-in on both bets to speed up the game
- 2. Shoot Müller in the head
- 3. Shoot the Stranger in the head
- 4. Shoot the Stranger's accomplices in the head. Some Dead-Eye will suffice for this.
- If the player looks under the table when the shot widens as Marston sits down, on Ricketts's right thigh is what seems to be a playing card. Either this is a contraption for keeping an extra card for cheating, or simply a constant glitch in the cinematic. It is most likely a secret card since moments before, Ricketts is seen to be winning a lot of chips and later states he has already beaten Müller. Another reason it could be deliberate is because when Marston cheats (while wearing the Elegant Suit), he briefly puts both hands under the table when switching cards. A possible theory takes advantage of the gear both Ricketts and Marston use: their holsters. You'll notice, especially on the Elegant Suit or Gentleman's Attire, that there is a strap of leather around the thigh to hold the holster steady and provide a fumbleless draw, which theoretically could hold the proverbial "Ace in the Hole".
- When Marston says to Müller "As you wish, Germany. As you wish." this is most likely a reference to the movie The Princess Bride.
- After all the poker players and some other bystanders draw their guns and aim at each other, Müller says "There must be a name for this", which is a not-too subtle reference to the fact that they were in a "Mexican Standoff" in Mexico. Ricketts even winks as he calls it an 'impasse'.
- During the poker game, going all-in on both bets will most likely earn the player the achievement "High Roller". If not, simply restart the mission and try again. It's much easier this way than playing in the Blackwater High Stakes room.
- No matter how many chips the player makes, the player will only get $50 from finishing the mission.
- It's possible for Landon Ricketts to lose all his chips, even though he previously seemed to only win.
- Ricketts may sometimes say he knows the girl The Stranger is holding hostage.
- Even if any of the players in the poker game are defeated, they will all still be playing in the cutscene after.
- It is possible for everyone during the poker game to fold on both rounds, meaning instant chips for the player.
- If the player does not yet have the High Roller achievement, then it is possible to earn it during this mission. Simply go all-in repeatedly and the player will eventually win. However, the player must restart if Müller accuses them of cheating.
- It seems as though Müller can only be defeated if the player kills him. If the player attempts to shoot Müller's weapon or non-lethal areas, the blue bar will hardly increase, regardless of how accurately timed and Müller will more than likely defeat the player, unlike in random duels where the player can win by disarming the opponent rather easily.
- There is a glitch where, when taking cover, Marston will instantly fly up into the air and back down, killing him, and failing the mission.
Completing this mission contributes toward the following Trophy/Achievement:
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.