|Scientific Name||Equus mulus|
|Loot|| Mule Hide |
The Mule is an animal found in Red Dead Redemption. A mule is the offspring of a horse and a donkey. In the late period of the American West, mules were used as hardy pack animals, carrying equipment and individuals over rough terrain. In-game, mules can be ridden as a mount, similar to horses, but with some limitations as noted in this article.
The mules in Red Dead Redemption are significantly smaller than the horses. They can be ridden by the protagonist and NPCs, but cannot carry more than one person. Hogtied individuals can not be placed on a mule for transport. Mules are much slower than horses, equating to a one star horse in the game, and cannot jump. They have less of a tendency to wander while dismounted than horses.
Mules are almost always seen in the settlements and the wilderness of Nuevo Paraiso. Sometimes a mule's owner will be encountered along a road with a recalcitrant mule, cursing the animal for not moving. In a random encounter an NPC may try to sell a mule to Marston.
Sometimes when chasing down bounties in Mexico, the player will be chased by bandits riding mules as well as horses.
- Make sure you have a mule saved as your mount. At the very beginning of the De Santa mission "The Demon Drink", run over to De Santa's horse before he can get to it and mount it. He will then mount your mule. When he tells you to race him, stay ahead of him. Then after completing the mission your mule will somehow have high speed and stamina. If you save your game in a safehouse or quit the game however, your mule will be back to normal.
- During the Stranger side-mission "I Know You", both the Strange Man and Mother Superior have mules, but Marston is unable to ride them, as they lack a lead.
- Although labeled "mules" in-game, the animals found in Red Dead Redemption show the characteristics of a donkey. In real life, mules can be the same size or larger than horses. ()
- Furthermore, Nuevo Paraiso residents call them "burros", which means "donkey".
- The "Donkey Woman" is a glitch that appears as a hybrid of a mule and a woman.
- It is not necessary to hunt a mule in order to gain the Unnatural Selection achievement/trophy.