Nigel West Dickens' Elixir, commonly abbreviated, "N.W. Dickens' Elixir", is an elixir sold by Nigel West Dickens, which he claims does a number of miraculous effects, including curing diseases of all sorts, and instilling superhuman abilities to the drinker. However, it is widely known that the Elixir only provides a placebo effect, although West Dickens still sells it to unsuspecting folk, claiming it is a miraculous medical breakthrough from the east when its main ingredient is bat urine. However, drinking it does unlock the second level of Dead Eye.
These are the ailments that Nigel West Dickens claims his Elixir will cure:
- Acute, Chronic, Sciatic, Neurologic and Inflammatory Pain
- Sore Chest
- Throat Swelling
- Contracted Chords
- Contracted Muscles
- Ravaged Nerves
- Stiff Joints
- Undead Plague
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Sight
- Superhuman Accuracy
- Ability to chew through steel
- Turning a man into a woman
In Undead Nightmare, it is revealed that the Nigel West Dickens' Elixir attracts zombies, acting as bait for them. Nigel gives John a few bottles and it is then called Undead Bait by the game. John can build more Undead Bait if he wishes. In Mexico, Landon Ricketts asks John if he knows something to attract the zombies, because he knows of a way to get rid if them much faster. If John then brings Landon Dynamite and Undead Bait, Landon will stick the Dynamite in the Undead Bait, turning it into Boom Bait, which is like Undead Bait, but it explodes a few seconds after being thrown.
- A bottle of the N.W. Dickens' Elixir can be seen in the shelf of the house in Tanner's Reach.
- Marshal Leigh Johnson's deputy Eli can be seen drinking West Dickens' elixir at the start of the mission "Spare the Rod, Spoil the Bandit". He also defends the tonic and its seller in mission dialogue, claiming "It's a miracle breakthrough from the East!" and worshipping West Dickens as a genius. He is either extremely gullible, easily trusting, or he's just slow.
- Though the elixir is bogus, John Marston acquires Dead Eye Level 2 from drinking it. It is unknown what effects caused this, seeing as other NPC's who drink the tonic exhibit no Dead Eye-like abilities. This is likely just for gameplay reasons, and has no canonical explanation whatsoever.
- The tonic appears to be very popular and can be seen in many houses and bars.
- Another theory of the tonic giving John the second level of Dead Eye is that, unknowingly to him and West Dickens, he entered a shooting session, and after he successfully shot more difficult objects, he just simply got better at shooting.
- In Undead Nightmare, John has once called it "cat nip."
- Undead Nightmare is the only time the player can actally obtain Nigel's tonic. However, it is called "Bait."
- During "A Cure for Most of What Ailes You", Nigel reveals what his tonic is actally made of.
- The tonic is made out of Desert Sage and Violet Snowdrop mixed with water.
- A likely theory is that the bottle Marston was given was not filled with the Elixir, but with another tonic or substance.