|Hold it right there, outlaw!|
This article is littered with spoilers, so I reckon
you might ought'a mosey on down the road
if you don't want to read any plot details.
| Red Dead Redemption mission|
On Shaky's Ground
"Man is Born Unto Trouble"
| Leigh Johnson|
"The Assault on Fort Mercer"
To view the mission tree, see:
- Main article: Missions in Redemption/Tree
After John stops Irish from robbing two nuns, he finally reveals to John that his contact Shaky knows where they can get ammunition for the Gatling Gun. When they arrive at Shaky's warehouse, through the door they hear the sounds of Shaky being roughed-up by some goons. Marston must rescue Shaky and fight his way to the ammunition stores.
Before this mission becomes available, the player must complete:
To complete this mission, the player must:
- Go with Irish and sneak into the warehouse.
- Rescue Shaky.
- Fight his way to the Gatling Gun ammo.
- Ride shotgun for Irish.
Marston needs ammo for the Gatling Gun to be used in the assault on Fort Mercer, so he arrives at Thieves' Landing to meet Irish. In the opening cutscene, Irish is once again drunk and is attempting to rob two nuns when John finds him. John straightens him out, apologizes to the nuns, and sends them on their way.
The player then follows Irish across town to the door of a warehouse where they are to meet Irish's contact, Shaky. In a cutscene, Irish finds that the door that was supposed to be unlocked is locked and tells John to follow him around to the back of the warehouse to find another way in.
The player follows Irish around the back of the warehouse and up a flight of stairs to a second floor entrance. In a cutscene, Irish listens at the door and hears Shaky being interrogated and beaten, presumably because his plans to unload the gatling gun ammo had been discovered.
The player then must climb a couple of ladders to reach the roof of the warehouse. Once on the roof, the player must get to the other side of the roof without being heard, by crouching or walking slowly. This leads to an open window which provides a point of access for rescuing Shaky. A few of Shaky's captors must be killed, after which Shaky is untied.
The player and Shaky fight their way out of the warehouse, where a number of reinforcements have taken positions. Once outside additional reinforcements in the yard must be defeated before the gatling gun ammo can be reached.
The gatling gun ammo is loaded onto the cart which Irish has brought up to the warehouse. Following a cutscene, the player rides shotgun on the cart as Irish drives to MacFarlane's Ranch. A few waves of enemies attack the cart along the way - mostly on horseback, but with one overhead on a bridge as well.
The mission ends with the arrival of the cart at MacFarlane's Ranch. As they reach the ranch, John makes it clear to Irish that he expects him to participate in the fighting at Fort Mercer.
- Main article: On Shaky's Ground/dialogues
The mission will fail if the player:
- Assaults, kills or abandons Irish.
- Assaults or kills Irish's Horses.
- Assaults or kills Shaky.
When you reach MacFarlane's Ranch at the end in Irish's stagecoach, get off the stagecoach just as it is about to stop. Then it will tell you to get back in. Do so and if you have the timing right, it will cut to a scene of them talking before you are fully on. When the conversation is over you will have finished the mission and will still be in the stagecoach. Irish will then drive off with you still in. He takes you on a bumpy ride that usually results in him crashing it.
- There is an error with the mission timing. You can complete this mission, but Seth will comment that the gun doesn't have any ammo during the mission A Drive With Friends, which John comments he will need to have a chat with Irish.
- The boss who beats up Shaky is seen departing the ferry in the opening cutscene.
- The two bandits that beat up Shaky for their boss are Vernon Cherry and Grady Underwood.
- After completion of this mission, if the player immediately returns to Thieves' Landing all Bollard Twins gang members will become hostile.
- During the opening cutscene after Irish gets up off the ground he can be seen holding a gun in his hand and another gun tucked in his belt despite the fact that John whipped him with it.
Completing this mission contributes toward the following Trophy/Achievement:
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.