Rio Bravo is the southernmost region of the territory, and borders the regions of Cholla Springs to the Northeast and Gaptooth Ridge to the Northwest. A large portion of the southern border is defined by the San Luis River. Travel through the area is also extremely hazardous, due to the frequent cougar and wolf attacks that occur, particularly in the higher altitudes. This area of the game is most likely based on New Mexico with its dead trees, desert scrub, rock formations and arid conditions.
The area is also sparsely populated compared to the other regions of New Austin, probably due to the absence of major settlements and/or towns.
Several Multiplayer game modes are available at Rio Bravo. None are available with the original game, however. All require DLCs, as noted below.
- The Río Grande, separating Texas from Mexico, is known in Mexico as Río Bravo del Norte and colloquially just Río Bravo.
- The region may be a reference to the 1959 western film "Rio Bravo" starring John Wayne, Dean Martin, and Ricky Nelson.
- Río Bravo is also the name of a location in the 1965 western film "For A Few Dollars More" starring Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef.
- This is the only region in the game in which the player cannot purchase a safehouse. However, there is property in Plainview which the player can rent for $5 a night ($10 if Abner Forsyth was spared in The Prohibitionist).
- Rio Bravo is also a town in Texas that was established before the game takes place.