Rare Weapons are the most elusive and powerful firearms in Red Dead Redemption.
There are five rare weapons in the game. John Marston doesn't happen upon many of these weapons until very late in the game, but when acquired they can be invaluable, despite their often large price tags. They are found in Gunsmith stores around the map and only appear once the player has completed key missions in the story.
All five of these weapons can be purchased for a rather high price, although it may go up or down depending on Marston's honor and whether or not the Savvy Merchant Outfit is equipped. Obtaining one will award the player with the Exquisite Taste achievement/trophy, while getting all five Rare Weapons contributes to 100% game completion.
Each weapon has their own distinctive properties among other similar weapons:
- LeMat Revolver: This revolver carries 9 bullets, 3 more bullets than any other revolver in the game.
- Semi-auto Shotgun: Fires faster and loads more shells (just before the Pump-action Shotgun), as well as deadly.
- Carcano Rifle: Scoped rifle with 5 bullets and fires faster than the Rolling Block Rifle.
- Evans Repeater: A repeater rifle which carries 22 bullets, the largest ammo load for a weapon in the game.
- Mauser Pistol: A automatic pistol with rapid fire and 15 bullets.
List of rare weapons
|LeMat Revolver||Escalera||$1250||"An Appointed Time" must be completed.|
|Carcano Rifle||Blackwater||$1100||"An Appointed Time" must first be completed.|
|Evans Repeater||Blackwater||$1000||"An Appointed Time" must first be completed.|
|Mauser Pistol||Blackwater||$800||"An Appointed Time" must first be completed.|
Players can get these guns at specific levels in multiplayer. Once they reach level 49, the player has unlocked all of the rare weapons.
- For more information on Multiplayer Weapon unlocks, see Redemption Multiplayer.
Rare Weapons can also be obtained in Undead Nightmare, however they are not bought, they are found either through random events, missions or through completeing challenges.
|Semi-Auto Shotgun||Random Event, mission "A Civilized Man"|
|Carcano Rifle||Undead Sharpshooter Rank 5|
|Evans Repeater||Undead Hunter Rank 5|
|LeMat Revolver||Undead Hunter Rank 5|
|Mauser Pistol||Undead Sharpshooter Rank 5 Challenge|
- Even though the Evans Repeater and the Semi-auto Shotgun are considered rare weapons, they are actually fairly common among enemies once obtained by the player.
- The Mauser Pistol and Evans Repeater can be obtained early by committing a crime at MacFarlane's Ranch and luring the lawmen to a location near the river to the north that is technically in Tall Trees. If the player surrenders, they will be taken to the Blackwater Police Department jail. Upon release, they can purchase the weapons should they have sufficient money.
Purchase a rare weapon from a gunsmith.
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.
These weapons can also help to achieve:
Get a headshot while in Expert Mode in Singleplayer.
Kill 500 enemies with any pistol or revolver in any game mode.
Kill 500 enemies with any rifle, repeater, or shotgun
Get 250 headshots in any game mode.