|This article concerns unreleased content. Some information may be incorrect, but new information may be coming.|
- “An epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland, the game's vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience.”
- — Official description
Red Dead Redemption II (or Red Dead Redemption 2) is an upcoming western-themed action-adventure video game developed by Rockstar San Diego and published by Rockstar Games. It is scheduled for release in spring 2018 for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. It is the third entry in the Red Dead series and a prequel to 2010's Red Dead Redemption.
Red Dead Redemption II is a western action-adventure game set in an open world environment and played from a third-person perspective, featuring single-player and online multiplayer components. The game has new features absent from the previous game. Scenes in the trailers show characters wading in water, using bow and arrow, dual-wielding revolvers, and using a canoe. Wildlife and hunting in the game have also improved.
- Main article: Characters in Redemption 2
- Arthur Morgan - Morgan is the main protagonist and playable character of Red Dead Redemption II. He is a member of the Van der Linde gang.
- Dutch van der Linde - Dutch is the leader of the Van der Linde gang, and Morgan's boss.
- Bill Williamson - a member of the Van der Linde gang.
On October 16, 2016, Rockstar Games changed all of their social media and Newswire images to two red and black Rockstar logos, one of which appeared faded in a similar way to several Red Dead Redemption screenshots. The following day, Rockstar teased another photo, appearing to show Dutch's Gang walking in front of the sunset. On October 18, 2016, Rockstar formally announced Red Dead Redemption 2, and a trailer was released on October 20, 2016.
On May 22, 2017, Rockstar announced the game was delayed until spring 2018 and released screenshots from the game.
On September 28 2017, Rockstar released the second trailer, revealing Arthur Morgan as the game's protagonist and Dutch van der Linde as one of the central characters. The trailer also revealed that the number '2' had been changed to the Roman numeral 'II', similar to that of the GTA series.