A save is a way of keeping files and the player's progression through the game. It is essential to progressing through the game faster. There are ways that a save file can be corrupt, whether the console is turned off while saving, reckless modifications and through glitches.
There are two types of save: manual and auto. Manual saving is a type of save where players need to save a file through campsite or safehouse. It can be made available when making a campsite, or sleeping in a bed in Safehouses.
Auto saving is where the game save files automatically, most often after missions are completed. Auto-save is also enabled when changing setting and can be disabled in the options menu.
Both saves advances the in-game clock by six hours, similar to that in GTA games.
Setting up a campsite and simply choosing 'Save' will advance the time by 6 hours. Choosing a file save is not necessary to merely advance the time by 6 hrs.
Ways to SaveEdit
There are many ways to save the game, depending on the player's actions.
- To quick-save the game without elapsing 6 hours, hitch a horse at a hitching post.
- Using a horse deed from the inventory will also quick-save the game, as will completing any ambient challenge, such as horse breaking. For best use of this feature, have at least two horse deeds in your inventory.
- Save the location by placing a Basic Campsite or Improved Campsite anywhere in an open flat area, away from roads, water, towns, and hideouts.
- If unable to quick-save at the hitch, steal a horse and hitch that new horse and the game will save.
- After any Mission, the game will Auto-Save.
- If the player attempts to save at a safehouse or campsite, but then cancels the save, 6 hours will still elapse. This can be repeated as often as the player likes. Once setting up a campsite, the player can choose 'Save File'. Time will advance 6 hrs. Choosing a file save is not necessary.
- Changing options causes an auto-save.
- An easy way to find a spot to save camp is to make a horse run at full speed and activate the campsite from the satchel. The game will automatically find a spot to set camp but technically, not in water.
- Escaping the law may start an auto-save.
Glitches and BugsEdit
There are several known glitches when saving the game at a safehouse. The first is that the player has killed all the Buffalo and has the trophy "Manifest Destiny". The player saved the game at the safehouse and after doing this turned off their PS3. When the player turned it back on and loaded up the game, they still had the trophy but their stats said they had not killed all the Buffalo.