Red Dead RevolverEdit
- “This modified version of the 12-gauge shotgun has its barrels shortened, increasing the blast radius and power. The shot shells are filled with lead pellets that are shot out at a velocity of 1300 feet per second. This is the preferred weapon of outlaws; and it's almost as deadly as the men holding them.”
- — Description in game manual
The Sawn-off Shotgun (as it is named in Red Dead Revolver) has high power but less accuracy than other weapons. It is one of the most powerful weapons in the game and is also upgradeable. Although labeled "Sawn-off Shotgun" within the game, it is listed as the "Sawed Off Shotgun" in the game manual.
The weapon first becomes available for acquisition from fallen enemies midway through the game.
Sheriff Bartlett's JournalEdit
- “The hand cannon, plain murder at close range.”
- — Sheriff Bartlett's Journal
Sawed-off Shotgun is listed in Sheriff Bartlett's Journal on pages 62 - 63 under the Ranged Weapons section. The pages are unlocked by acquiring the weapon from fallen enemies.
Red Dead RedemptionEdit
The Sawed-off Shotgun is a short-barreled shotgun with a pistol grip, with the barrel having been cut, or sawn, shorter, giving each shot from the gun a wider spread. This increases damage, but significantly reduces maximum range. The weapon is similar in operation to the Double-barreled Shotgun, and holds two shells. The Sawed-off is more suited to close quarters, face-to-face situations, while the Double-barreled Shotgun, having a longer barrel and tighter pellet spread, is more suited to mid-range situations. As a hunting weapon, the Sawed-Off Shotgun is bested by its longer range equivalent the Double-barreled Shotgun in hunting most animals, except possibly birds that require only a few pellets to hit, making the Sawed-off's larger spread more effective.
- Sawed-off Shotgun can be bought for $500 or $250 with low enough honor at Thieves' Landing Gunsmith.
- Can be found for free during the Pike's Basin hideout. During the shootout in the large main basin, it is dropped by Julius Grimes.
- As a third option, the player can also "cheat" for this weapon if they want (See Cheats in Redemption page).
- The Sawed-off Shotgun is unlocked into the player's regular inventory upon reaching rank 18.
- It can also be obtained by killing another player who has the weapon equipped.
- You get it after completing Dinner for Two in Armadillo.
- As a second option, like in the singleplayer, players can also "cheat" for this weapon if they want.
- By squeezing the trigger button twice rapidly, both barrels of the gun can be fired at the same time.
- It is very effective in Undead Nightmare due to its extremely low accuracy and wide spread, making it simple to aquire headshots at close range, and at long range with the use of Dead-Eye.
- The Sawed-off Shotgun is based on the real world Colt Model 1883 Hammerless Shotgun.
- The Sawed-off Shotgun is held like a pistol or revolver in Red Dead Redemption, despite this, Marston will still place it at his back.
- Since it's a one-handed weapon, Marston can still fire the Sawed-Off while being physically attacked; this makes it an excellent default weapon for self-defense in cougar or bear country.
- Marston is seen on the North American and UK cover of the game holding this (in every other region, Marston is holding a revolver and the background of the cover is different), the same picture at the left side of the screen, if you have the Red Dead Wiki wallpaper set.
- The Sawed-off Shotgun has the shortest range out of all the other shotguns available to buy in Red Dead Redemption, making it the shortest ranged gun in the game. (The shortest ranged weapon is the Hunting Knife.)
- The Sawed-off Shotgun works like a standard pistol, revolver, rifle, or repeater when used in Dead Eye while still keeping the power of a shotgun. This means it can kill most enemies in a single shot at any distance when in Dead Eye.
- The Shotgun also has the same execution animations as a pistol or revolver. Rather than putting the gun under someone's chin, as he would with a long weapon, Marston usually puts the gun about midriff-level and pulls the trigger point-blank.
- A glitch occurs if Marston holsters the Sawed-off Shotgun while riding shotgun on a carriage. Instead of placing on his back, he holsters it by his side (as one would with a pistol or revolver).
- The Sawed-off Shotgun also appears in GTA San Andreas and The Lost and Damned.
- John has indicated on several occasions that he likes this weapon.
- In Undead Nightmare, Leigh Johnson says "these new guns could take down an elephant" showing the guns power. Wheather this is true or not, it is a mystery as there aren't any elephants in the game to prove if what he said was true.
- During the mission Landon Ricketts Rides Again, if this weapon is holstered on Marston's back when he takes his seat on the train, he will still pull it out and hold it like a rifle during the cutscene.
The Sawed-off Shotgun can be used to unlock the following Trophies/Achievements:
Get 250 headshots in any game mode.
Get a headshot while in Expert Mode in Singleplayer.
Kill 500 enemies with any rifle, repeater, or shotgun