Single Player Challenges are tasks that the player can complete in the single player mode of Red Dead Redemption in order to earn rewards.
Single Player Challenges are found in the Journal section of the in-game start menu while in single player mode. The challenges are not required to complete the campaign, but do offer rewards and are required for certain trophies/achievements.
There are four sets of challenges in the main game, each with ten ranks, as detailed in the sections below. Rewards are gained upon completing ranks five and ten; the player also receives a certain amount of fame for each rank completed. There are no notifications for the rewards earned at rank five.
Most of the challenges have equivalents in multiplayer as well (see: Multiplayer Challenges), but there are many additional multiplayer challenges that don't appear in single player. Members of the Rockstar Games Social Club can complete additional challenges in single player. These are covered separately at Social Club Challenges.
Additional challenges are provided by DLC, as detailed in "DLC Single Player Challenges" below.
Single Player Challenges
- Main article: Sharpshooter Challenges
The Sharpshooter Challenges all involve weapon firing, focusing on accuracy and speed.
- Rank 1: Kill 5 flying wild Birds.
- Rank 2: Kill 5 Rabbits.
- Rank 3: Kill 5 Coyotes before incurring any damage.
- Rank 4: Kill 5 flying birds from a moving train.
- Rank 5: Kill any 2 different types of wild animals in one Dead Eye sequence.
- Rank 6: Shoot the hats off 2 peoples' heads.
- Rank 7: Kill three bears with one shot each.
- Rank 8: Shoot the hats off 2 peoples' heads and disarm 2 people.
- Rank 9: Kill any 6 wild animals without reloading or changing weapons.
- Rank 10: Disarm any 6 enemies without reloading or changing weapons.
- Main article: Survivalist Challenges
The Survivalist Challenges task the player with finding a quantities of a certain herbs scattered throughout the world. Buy a Survivalist Map and use it for when no plants present themselves. If the player can find a herbalist out in the wild, they will challenge them to collect a number of a type of plants and return to the camp. This will point out all local plant locations during the challenge. The plants will count towards the challenge after the competition.
- Rank 1: Collect 6 Wild Feverfew in addition to any you may already have. They are found in Hennigan's Stead and Cholla Springs.
- Rank 2: Collect 6 Desert Sage in addition to any you may already have. They are found in and around Gaptooth Ridge.
- Rank 3: Collect 4 Red Sage in addition to any you may already have. They are found in and around Rio Bravo.
- Rank 4: Collect 8 Prickly Pears in addition to any you may already have. They are found in and around Punta Orgullo.
- Rank 5: Collect 7 Woolly Blue Curls, in addition to any you may already have. They are found in and around Perdido.
- Rank 6: Collect 8 Butterfly Weed in addition to any you may already have. They are found in and around Diez Coronas.
- Rank 7: Collect 10 Hummingbird Sage in addition to any you may already have. The are found in and around Tall Trees.
- Rank 8: Collect 12 Prairie Poppy in addition to any you may already have. They are found in and around the Great Plains.
- Rank 9: Collect 15 Golden Currant in addition to any you may already have. They are found in and around the Great Plains.
- Rank 10: Collect 10 Violet Snowdrop in addition to any you may already have. They are found in and around Tall Trees. Then collect 2 more of every other herb available.
- Main article: Master Hunter Challenges
The Master Hunter Challenges task players with hunting and/or skinning a certain amount of a certain species of animal. This challenge line starts when you first skin a coyote.
- Rank 1: Collect 5 Coyote Pelts.
- Rank 2: Collect 5 Deer Pelts.
- Rank 10: Search Aurora Basin for "Lobo" the legendary wolf, Stillwater Creek for "Gordo" the legendary Boar, and Nekoti Rock for "Brumas" the legendary Bear and collect their pelts.
- Main article: Treasure Hunter Challenges
The Treasure Hunter Challenges task players with finding nine hidden treasure chests, each containing a unique gold bullion and a map to the next treasure chest. Each treasure must be found using hand-drawn maps depicting general locations with landmarks.
- Rank 1 - The first Treasure Map is obtained during a random encounter. The location depicted on the map is found at the north side of Hanging Rock, near the base of the largest boulder.
- Rank 2 - Located at Del Lobo Rock on a small path that winds down the south end face of Del Lobo Rock. Go up the path leading to the top of Del Lobo Rock and there will be a deserted camp there. Then, players should see a gap in between two rocks. Go through there and follow the path down. Try to stay to the left of the path. If the player reaches the beach, they have gone too far.
- Rank 3 - Located in the basement of the Old Mansion in Tumbleweed. Look for the steer skull.
- Rank 5 - Located between Escalera and the railroad that crosses the river on a small rock spire that looks like two boulders forming toes, on top of a big flat mesa-like rock (it's marked on the map as Crooked Toes).
- Rank 6 - Located south of Chuparosa in Ojo Del Diablo, on the left side of the arch when looking west.
- Rank 7 - Located along a cliff below Roca de Madera.
- Rank 8 - Located at the Broken Tree.
- Rank 9 - Located in the cave at the top of Nekoti Rock (the cave players may have seen Brumas the Legendary Bear come out of).
- Rank 10 - Automatically attained after finding the last treasure chest as a Rank 9 Treasure Hunter.
DLC Single Player Challenges
- Main article: Tomahawk Mastery
Completing the Tomahawk Mastery Challenges gives the player a Trophy/Achievement, and causes tomahawks to appear in chests in properties the player owns.
- Rank 1: Purchase from general store at Manzanita Post.
- Rank 2: Kill one enemy with a thrown tomahawk, one with a tomahawk melee, and one while on horseback.
- Rank 3: Kill a flying bird with a tomahawk without using deadeye.
- Rank 4: Kill five enemies in a row with the tomahawk without missing.
- Rank 5: Clear a gang hideout using only the tomahawk.
- Rank 5 (Undead Nightmare DLC only): Save a town using only the tomahawk.
- Rank 5 (Undead Nightmare DLC only): Save a town using only the tomahawk.
Explosive Rifle Challenges
- Main article: Master Exploder
Red Dead Redemption
- Rank 2: Kill 5 enemies taking cover.
- Rank 3: Kill 3 enemies with a single shot.
- Rank 4: Kill 2 wild animals with a single shot.
- Rank 5: Obtain the U.S. Army Uniform and kill an enemy with the gun while wearing it.
Undead Nightmare DLC
- Rank 1: Save Rathskeller Fork.
- Rank 2: Kill one of each Undead type.
- Rank 3: Kill 3 Undead with a single shot.
- Rank 4: Kill 2 wild undead animals with a single shot.
- Rank 5: Kill an undead while wearing the U.S. army uniform.
Undead Nightmare Challenges
- Main article: Undead Nightmare Challenges
The following trophies/achievements are related to Single Player challenges:
Obtain Legendary rank in any Single Player Ambient Challenge.
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.
With the addition of the Legends and Killers and Liars and Cheats DLC packs the following achievements can be acquired upon completion of the Single Player Challenges for the Tomahawk and the Explosive Rifle:
Complete all Tomahawk challenges in singleplayer.
Complete the Explosive Rifle Single Player Challenges.