|Hold it right there, outlaw!|
This article is littered with spoilers, so I reckon you might ought'a mosey on down the road if you don't want to read any plot details.
|Voice Actor||Brennan Brown|
–The Strange Man speaking to John Marston
An enigmatic character, the Strange Man appears to know John Marston very well, including details about his past life in Dutch's Gang that John himself does not know. The Strange Man dresses in a black three-piece suit with a black tie and black top hat.
The Strange Man is the focus of the stranger side mission I Know You, which is only available for John Marston. John meets the Strange Man in three separate places during the mission, once in each territory of the game. Each time, the man gives vague answers to John's questions, and twice, asks John to perform errands for strangers.
- Main article: /Speculation
- If the player kills "The Strange Man" and loots his body the player will get $6 and 6 rounds of revolver ammunition.
- During the third encounter with the Strange Man, he says, "This is a fine spot." This location which will later be John's gravesite.
- In an issue of Gamepro Magazine, a closer look at Red Dead Redemption was given. When asked about the Strange Man quest, and whether the "man in the black top hat" represented God or Satan, Rockstar told the magazine that they could not tell if the Strange Man was God, Satan, or anything else.
- It is actually possible to kill the Strange Man. The player just has to shoot him before triggering the cutscene. Doing so will fail the mission.
- The player can kill him after the mission is over. This can be counted as a bug and non-canon due to him being a simple NPC and in one of the cutscenes, he appears invincible.
- The Strange Man can be "killed" right after the second encounter. He will appear to have died and the body can be looted. Doing so does not affect the "I Know You" side missions in any way.
- If the player points a gun at him, he can pull out a Cattleman Revolver and shoot and kill the player. He may also run away while yelling at John.
- There is a picture of the Strange Man, hanging in John and Abigail's bedroom at Beecher's Hope, as well as directly over Jack's bed and above the piano in the living room.
- After the first encounter with him, players can point a gun at him and he will start to run. Lasso and hogtie him but he will continue to talk. He also keeps talking as if the situation were normal (as if he were still standing at the edge of the cliff, perfectly safe). However, pointing a gun at him is considered a crime and civilians will attempt to alert law enforcement.
- The Strange Man, or at least, a man who looks exactly like him, may appear in the cutscene when Marston says goodbye to Harold MacDougal at the train station during "The Prodigal Son Returns (To Yale)." He is sitting on a bench behind the player. However he disappears as the cutscene finishes, and he does not always appear.
- The Strange Man is the only character John meets with in all three territories of the map.
- If the player attacks the Strange Man he will say things like, "You always were a nasty little orphan," "Come now, Marston," or "You haven't changed."
- He appears to have very pale blue eyes.
- John: “Damn you!”
- Stranger: “Yes, many have...”
- ―John Marston and The Strange Man
- “I'm an accountant...in a way.”
- — The Strange Man
- “You kill people so easily, yet you respect the vows of marriage. That's very curious, John.”
- — The Strange Man
- “This is a fine spot.”
- — The Strange Man referring to what later will become John's gravesite
Complete a task for a Stranger.
Complete 15 tasks for Strangers.