Strangers are special NPC characters featured in Red Dead Redemption. Unlike core gameplay missions, these side-missions can be initiated and completed at any time. Strangers will request tasks or offer opportunities to the player.
Strangers are represented on the map by a question mark "?" icon. These question mark icons only appear on the map when the player is close to their locations. Visit the question mark icon to begin dramatic, and sometimes dangerous, chains of events.
Occasionally, the player will be given a choice on how to complete the mission, yielding either positive or negative results for the player's fame and honor. Additionally, the successful completion of these activities will often reward players with cash.
For more information on where to initiate these tasks, how to complete them, and all other details, please choose the desired one.
- "American Appetites" - Randall Forrester • Grace Anderson • Ralph Anderson
- "California" - Sam Odessa
- "Flowers for a Lady" - Billy West • Annabel West
- "Funny Man" - Jimmy Saint
- "I Know You" - Strange Man
- "Jenny's Faith" - Jenny
- "Let No Man Put Asunder" - Alma Horlick • Peter Turner • Alan Harling • Rose Harling
- "Lights, Camera, Action" - D.S. MacKenna • Silas Spatchcock
- "Water and Honesty" - Andrew McAllister • Clyde Evans
- "Who Are You to Judge?" - Jeb Blankenship • Unnamed Woman • Lucy
- "Aztec Gold" - Basilio Aguirre Olmos de la Vargas
- "Deadalus and Son" - Charles Kinnear
- "Eva in Peril" - Eva Cortes • Mario Alcalde
- "Love is the Opiate" - Zhou • Juan de la Vara
- "Poppycock" - Uriah Tollets • Juan de la Vara
- American Lobbyist - The Blackmailer in Blackwater • The Gossiper in Blackwater Bank
- "The Prohibitionist" - Abner Forsyth • Oliver Phillips
- "Remember My Family" - Agent Howard Sawicki • Edgar Ross • Emily Ross • Phillip Ross
- "The Wronged Woman" - Clara LaGuerta • Harold Thornton • Elizabeth Thornton
- Most Stranger missions ask the player to wait a couple in-game days before the next part of the mission becomes available. Instead of waiting the player can just save the game at any property/campsite and then reload that save, or an auto-save in case this feature is turned on.
There are three trophies/achievements associated with completing Stranger tasks:
Complete a task for a stranger.
Complete 15 tasks for Strangers.
Attain 100% in the singleplayer completion stat.