Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers.
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Hold it right there, outlaw!|
This article is littered with spoilers, so I reckon you might ought'a mosey on down the road if you don't want to read any plot details.
To view the mission tree, see:
- Main article: Missions in Redemption/Tree
John Marston and his group, consisting of Marshal Leigh Johnson, Deputies Eli and Jonah, Nigel West Dickens, Irish, Seth Briars and an unnamed deputy break into Fort Mercer, and try to find and capture Bill Williamson. West Dickens provides an armored stagecoach, Seth distracts the gang, Irish provides a Gatling Gun, and the Marshal and his deputies provide firepower. When the gang members are dealt with, a search of the rest of the Fort reveals Williamson is not there, and the only inhabitants are a few of his goons.
John is then sent to the front of the fort in order to defend it from Williamson's reinforcements, and after they are taken down as well, the Marshal's deputies tell Marston that they have captured one of the gang members. Once interrogated, the group learns that Bill Williamson has fled to Mexico in order to find Javier Escuella, another member of the gang Marston used to be a part of. John, therefore, must head to Mexico with Irish and continue his search for his former allies.
Before this mission becomes available, the player must complete:
- Leigh Johnson mission: "Hanging Bonnie MacFarlane";
- Nigel West Dickens mission: "The Sport of Kings, and Liars";
- Seth Briars mission: "Let the Dead Bury Their Dead"; and
- Irish mission: "On Shaky's Ground"
To complete this mission, the player must:
- Board Nigel's wagon and sneak into the fort.
- Gun down the bandits with the Gatling Gun.
- Fight their way around the fort ramparts.
- Regroup with their allies.
- Gun down the bandit reinforcements with the Gatling Gun.
This is the first mission in which you are able to use a Gatling Gun. In the mission, the Gatling Gun is mounted inside West Dicken's stagecoach. As the stagecoach pulls inside, the back opens up and the posse is engaged in a fierce firefight with members of the Williamson Gang . They will approach from directly in front of the wagon and to the right of it. The well in the center of the courtyard will crumble under enough concentrated fire, making it easier to aim and shoot some of the well-hidden enemies. After they are dealt with, a search of the rest of the Fort reveals Williamson is not there. The last sequence of the mission has the player man the Gatling again and fend off reinforcements attacking the main gate of the fort. These reinforcements include both mounted and unmounted enemies, as well as two wagons with Gatling Guns mounted on them. Once they've been killed, sit back and enjoy the treatment of prisoners in the Old West!
- Main article: The Assault on Fort Mercer/dialogues
- If the player is having trouble dealing with the two Gatling Gun wagons, there is a dynamite box on each of these wagons located slightly behind the driver. Simply shoot the boxes to take the wagons out easily.
- Make sure to check all the rooms in Fort Mercer; money, ammunition for weapons, and other valuables can be found in chests hidden throughout the fort.
The mission will fail if the player:
- Abandons his traveling companions.
- Assaults or kills Marshal Johnson, Eli, Jonah, Seth, Irish or Nigel.
- Kills any horse ridden by Marshal Johnson, Eli, Jonah or Irish.
- Kills the horses pulling Nigel's coach.
- Breaks the law.
- Kills a dog.
- Commits vandalism.
- Assaults or kills townsfolk (if any).
New Game Elements Introduced
- Firing a mounted weapon
- Use of a Gatling Gun
- Despite the fact that Irish apparently never turned up to the battle, he is still seen alongside Marston in the opening cutscene.
- Despite this being Williamson's Gang, two Bollard Twins Gang members (Harry Dobbing and Irvin Pennick) appear in the cutscene and momentarily in the gunfight. Unlike other criminals whose character models respawn often, only these two respawn once.
- Very rarely, while riding into the fort in the wagon, a lawman may be killed by a cougar, failing the mission instantly. This is most likely to happen at night when cougars are most active.
- In earlier missions Eli referred to West Dickens usually as "Mr." or other respectful terms, yet here he simply calls him the "snake oil guy," possibly due to his flustered state.
- The "Assault on Fort Mercer" is similar to a scene in the Spaghetti Western, Django, in which the titular character and a gang he temporarily works with to assault a fort in a similar manner as John and his gang, using a machine gun hidden in a prostitute's wagon.
- There is an unnamed deputy seen in the cutscene and during the battle. He is between Marshal Johnson and Irish in the image at the top of the page.
- This is the only occasion throughout the game that West Dickens ever holds or fires a weapon. His poor aim with his revolver reflects upon this.
Completing this mission contributes toward the following Trophies/Achievements:
Complete The Assault on Fort Mercer.
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.