|“||Oh, my God! The barn's on fire!||„|
|—Bonnie MacFarlane upon seeing the barn on fire|
To view the mission tree, see:
- Main article: Missions in Redemption/Tree
John Marston and Bonnie MacFarlane try to find Bonnie's father, who has gone missing. They find him standing among several dead men that he speculates have been killed by rustlers. John and Bonnie head back to the ranch only to find that the barn has been set ablaze by Williamson's gang. Marston must get the horses that are trapped out of the burning barn.
Before this mission becomes available, the player must complete:
- Bonnie MacFarlane mission: "A Tempest Looms"; and
- Leigh Johnson mission: "Spare the Rod, Spoil the Bandit"
To complete this mission, the player must:
- Ride with Bonnie to locate her father.
- Return to MacFarlane's Ranch.
- Climb the windmill and enter the burning barn.
- Save the horses in the barn.
After learning Bonnie's father hasn't been seen after he went out to ride the land, you must go assist her in finding him. Once found in bad state he'll send the player back to the barn to fetch a wagon to move the dead men. Once John arrives, he'll find that the barn has been set afire by Williamson's bandits in retaliation for the family nursing Marston back to health. After that, the player will have to free the horses. Climb up the left side of the barn, up the platforms when prompted and jump up to the tower, shimmy across the side of the barn, then walk around to the back of the barn. Once inside the barn, remove the pitch fork barring the door and then smack the two horses on the rear to get them moving. For the last horse, the path is blocked, and the player will have to mount it and jump out of the barn to safety. The player does not need to press jump to make the horse jump; when the horse reaches the obstacle, it will automatically jump. Bring it to the stable near Bonnie to complete the mission.
- Main article: The Burning/dialogues
The mission will fail if the player:
- Assaults, kills or abandons Bonnie.
- Assaults or kills Drew MacFarlane.
- Kills Bonnie's horse.
- Kills the trapped horses.
- Strays too far from the mission location.
- Terrorizes the townfolk.
- Breaks the law.
- Kills a dog.
- Commits vandalism.
- Assaults or kills townsfolk.
New Game Elements IntroducedEdit
- Similar to the mission Wild Horses, Tamed Passions, on the last cutscene of this mission John will have his hat even if he's wearing an outfit in which he doesn't wear one (Gentleman's Attire for an example). This, again, happens because Marston takes off his hat during the cutscene. The hat will vanish as soon as the cutscene ends and the player is back in control of John.
- This is the only Bonnie mission that does not unlock a Stranger side-mission.
- Sometimes, a game will glitch and the player will receive the mission "Hanging Bonnie MacFarlane" before getting this mission. Fortunately, it does not affect further gameplay.
Completing this mission contributes toward the following Trophy/Achievement:
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.