|Hold it right there, outlaw!|
This article is littered with spoilers, so I reckon
you might ought'a mosey on down the road
if you don't want to read any plot details.
| Red Dead Redemption mission|
The Outlaw's Return
|Given by||Abigail Marston|
|Location||MacFarlane's Ranch and Beecher's Hope|
| Edgar Ross|
"And The Truth
Will Set You Free"
| Abigail Marston|
"John Marston and Son"
"By Sweat and Toil"
John Marston returns to his ranch, where he is reunited with his wife and son. Despite the fact that Uncle was supposed to protect the ranch, all the livestock are gone, either taken by wildlife or rustlers. So, John decides to take Jack with him to MacFarlane's Ranch the next day to get some more cattle.
Before this mission becomes available, the player must complete:
To complete this mission, the player must:
- Ride with Jack Marston to MacFarlane's Ranch.
- Drive cattle herd across the river.
- Kill the cattle rustlers.
- Drive the herd into the cattle pen at Beecher's Hope.
Get on your horse and ride to MacFarlane's Ranch, a trip without incidents, though Jack will have a lot of questions for John. When you arrive, Drew MacFarlane will tell you that Bonnie is out with the cattle. Go meet with her, and she'll help you herd the cattle until you get out of the farm. You'll have to drive the cattle across the river, but keeping them together shouldn't be too much of a problem, if you can remember the earlier missions with Bonnie.
Once you've gotten a little away from the river, you'll be attacked by thieves on horseback. They're not tough, and you should easily be able to take them all out. After doing so, simply follow the cattle to your ranch and get them all into the pen. Hitch your horse by the stable, which will trigger a cutscene with Jack, finishing the mission.
- Main article: The Outlaw's Return/dialogues
The mission will fail if the player:
- Assaults or kills Jack, Abigail, Uncle, Bonnie or Drew MacFarlane.
- Abandons Jack.
- Kills his own, Jack's or Bonnie's horse.
- Assaults or kills any ranch-hands.
- Assaults, kills or abandons the livestock.
- Loses the livestock.
- Breaks the law.
- Kills a dog.
- Commits vandalism.
- Assaults or kills townsfolk.
- Strays too far from the mission location.
Mission Complete UnlockablesEdit
Tips and TricksEdit
After this mission John Marston can't change into other outfits anymore, so it is advised to make a savegame before starting the Ranch chapter if the player wants to continue using different outfits John.
- The thieves that John encounter are actually the Bollard Twins Gang.
- It's possible that the player may lose cattle while crossing the Montana Ford.
- Sometimes while replaying, John may show up in the regular Cowboy Outfit.
Completing this mission contributes toward the following Trophy/Achievement:
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.