|Hold it right there, outlaw!|
This article is littered with spoilers, so I reckon you might ought'a mosey on down the road if you don't want to read any plot details.
A preacher, Abner Forsyth, is deterring citizens from the consumption of alcohol outside the Saloon in Blackwater. Upon speaking with him, Forsyth tells how some townsfolk aren't too fond of him. He proves it by sending Marston to one of his disgruntled listeners, the local bar owner, Oliver Phillips.
Before this Stranger will appear on the world map, the player must complete:
After speaking with Abner Forsyth, the player must:
- Speak with Oliver Phillips.
- Kill Forsyth or warn him to leave town.
- Speak with Phillips again.
Abner Forsyth is located outside the Blackwater saloon, preaching about prohibiting the sale of alcohol. After speaking with him, the player is sent to the other side of town to speak with a shady bar owner named Philips. Philips says that Abner is a menace to his business, and asks Marston to kill him. The player can choose to kill Abner or warn him of the danger instead.
If Marston kills Abner, he will receive $24 and half price at all bars across the map. However, he will incur a $40 bounty and lose 100 honor. If he warns Abner instead, a small amount of cash is obtained but prices at bars and property will double all across the world. Having a fame level of "Gunslinger" will keep the price of drinks from rising, but property prices will still double.
Mission Complete Unlockables
With the Hunting and Trading Outfits pack downloaded, after completing this quest, the player will acquire:
- Savvy Merchant Outfit Scrap #5
- If the player wears the bandana, the player will not lose any honor but still attain a $40 bounty and still receive the perks. Make sure your bandana is put on before taking the shot and talking to the listener.
- If the player travels to the hill south of Blackwater, they can kill Abner with either the Carcano or Rolling Block rifle from afar, avoiding gaining a bounty of $40.
- Be sure to wear the bandana even during the final conversation, or else the player will still lose 100 honor at the end of the mission.
- If the player is Jack and wears the U.S. Marshal Outfit while killing Abner, the player only loses 20 honor and does not receive a bounty.
- If you try to warn Abner after triggering the conversation, he might disappear. His book will still be visible and moving, resulting in a rather humorous glitch.
- Despite the fact that you can kill Abner after warning him, the results of warning him still follow.
- The game can crash if wearing the Deadly Assassin outfit when you first go to talk to Abner Forsyth. (PS3)
- After you complete the mission, the prohibitionist marker will still remain on your map.
Complete a task for a Stranger.
Complete 15 tasks for Strangers.
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.