The U.S. Army Uniform is an outfit worn by the player in Red Dead Redemption and Undead Nightmare. It is a necessary component for 100% Completion of Red Dead Redemption, and is required for one mission in Undead Nightmare.
This outfit is similar to the ones worn by other U.S. Army soldiers in the game, except that it does not have a rank insignia on the sleeve. Just like the U.S. Marshal Outfit, when walking around Thieves' Landing, the player is more likely to be attacked than they would be if they weren't wearing it. Although screenshots released by Rockstar show John Marston wearing this uniform, it can only be obtained after the mission The Last Enemy That Shall Be Destroyed and can therefore only be worn in the base game by Jack.
Red Dead RedemptionEdit
Six scraps must be obtained by completing various tasks in order to unlock the outfit. Progress towards completion can be tracked in the outfits menu.
- Search Aurora Basin - The scrap can be found in a small chest inside the cabin, near the small lake.
- Win an Arm Wrestling match in the Pacific Union Railroad Camp. Note: you have to beat as many opponents as there are at the table, in a 'best of three' to earn this scrap.
- Eliminate all other players in a game of Poker in Blackwater. (For tips, see the Poker page.)
- Successfully complete the Stranger side-mission "Lights, Camera, Action".
- Successfully complete a Nightwatch job in Blackwater.
- Purchase the scrap from the Tailor in Blackwater.†
During the mission "American Imperialism", visit the U.S. Army deserters at The Scratching Post. Either open one of the chests by the tent or assist the soldiers in fending off the Undead and they will allow the player to take the uniform.
The outfit must be acquired before the player is allowed to board the U.S. Army train headed into Nuevo Paraiso. Once acquired, the outfit can be worn by the player at any time up to completing the storyline.
- While wearing this outfit, military drum motifs are added to the in game action music (for example, when the player is escaping from lawmen or in a gunfight).
- NPCs will often salute the player while wearing this outfit.
- Unlike most other outfits, the hat of the U.S. Army Uniform has a flat rim rather than curved. This is similar to that of the Deadly Assassin Outfit. This is also the only hat in the game that, by Cowboy hat standards, would be considered "bone colored" or white. The intended color is probably khaki heavily faded by the Southwestern sun.
- The bandolier, if owned, does not appear while wearing this outfit. Neither do the lasso or satchel, but the hunting knife does.
- This is one of the outfits that changes the color of Marston's pistol/revolver cartridge belt and holster. The other one is the Gentleman's Attire.
- The U.S Army Uniform in the game is based on the khaki colored variant that was introduced in 1902; this uniform however is anachronistic, having been replaced in 1906 by a uniform with a standing "choker" collar. Marston, like many of the US soldiers in the game, dispenses with the blouse or coat and wears just the shirt.
- John Marston cannot wear this outfit in Red Dead Redemption, he can only wear this in the Undead Nightmare. Only while playing as Jack Marston can the final scrap be purchased to complete the Outfit.
- Jack does, however, wear John's rolled up bandana while wearing this outfit, indicating that it was possibly meant to be available to John during the game's development.
Obtaining the U.S. Army Uniform contributes toward acquisition of the following Achievement/Trophy:
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.
Complete the Explosive Rifle Single Player Challenges.